This is the last part in a four-part series on Customising the Experience Profile. This last part covers off Instant Personalisation.
Essentially the story goes that as a marketer you sometimes already know things about your visitor before they reach your website. Posting an ad on Facebook or other social media channels is a great example of this. By enabling a custom code pipeline we can achieve this via a parameter on the inbound link from social media.
- It can be activated by adding a query string on the end of any URL.
- For example http://www.scooterriders-r-us.com.au?pr=scooterType&pa=fast
- This would look in the “scooterType” profile and assign the key values for the “fast” pattern card.
- We set it up so that a user can potentially be added to three different profiles from an inbound link ?pr=scooterType&pa=fast&pr2=safety&pa2=none&pr3=incomebracket&pa3=budget
- Some of the logic used was derived from this StackOverflow ticket.
Now for the Technical Implementation:
Test it out by:
- Creating a profile with a pattern card (or several combinations)
- Setup a page with a personalised content block that will change based on different Profile Pattern matches.
- Creating a new inbound link to your page using the link parameters explained above.
- Open a new incognito window so that a new user is simulated.
- You should now see the correct personalisation for that user on the very first-page load.
- Confirm that pattern match inside the Experience Profile for that recent user. Note that if Experience Profile is not set up to show Anonymous users this last step requires some configuration changes. This is mentioned in part 1.
By adding a very simple customisation to Sitecore we can give marketers that ability to leverage social media to achieve personalisation very early on.